Sunday 6 December 2015

A soft touch for my lunch

6 December 2015


So you have been out shopping and you have that amazing little gem avocado in your shopping bag. While stood in the queue to check out, you go through the list lettuce tick, beef tomato tick, perfect green avocado that holds the promise of being creamy and smooth tick. Finally, you are free to take your little gem home to create the perfect salad.

 As you reach in to the shopping bag retrieve the avocado your mind wonders back to the moment when you pushed your trolley to the box holding all the avocados and you reach out to choose the one you think is perfect, ripe and with no bruises.  You hold it and ponder the two most important questions of the avocado buyer, is this avocado ripe and has some bruiser been here before me.

I think there should be avocado police to hand out tickets to offenders. They should be made to wear a board that shouts their offence or learn how to handle the avocados so that whoever comes after you can make a choice with confidence.

It’s quite simple really flick the small brown stem off the top of the avocado. If it comes off easily and you can see green underneath it, the avocado is ripe! If the stem doesn't come off or if you see brown, the avocado is not ripe.

As I cut into the flesh and run my knife all around the avocado, I am ready to pull the two halves apart. There is still a chance I have managed to pick one that is not bruised, which means I get to eat the whole avocado. Yes, I got lucky this time, and I can now make the lunch I dreamed off.



No comments:

Post a Comment

aMOZON