Monday 13 November 2017

Why does coffee get all the love and attention




Friday night and it is time to catch up with friends.  Andy said that after having read this post two years ago. He went out and bought a tea pot, loose leaf tea and tea ball infuser. After being encouraged I thought a re post was on the cards and hope we will all give tea more love.



Why does coffee get all the love and attention
My birthday, and I am being treated to breakfast at a new restaurant at Bicester village. The smiley waitress offers us our choice of any table we would like to sit at. Yes the whole place was empty. You would think that there would be alarm bells going off about now, but no we sit down and confidently order tea for me and cappuccino  for Pete.

Tea is really important at breakfast time, has to be English tea, made with consideration, ritual if need be and served with care and the best china. The milk needs to be added  a little by little, to get the right colour. And then can be sipped cautiously and enjoyed.

Coffee arrives at the table and there it is the fan fare afforded coffee, the light feathery pattern on the top of the milk suggests this will be a perfect drinking experience. Lucky cappuccino .

Tea arrives, a class was set down, no delicate cup to hold and enjoy the experience of drinking tea. I soon realised the tea bags and there was three of them were rung out dry, they were dead no life left in them.  When I asked to have it changed, smiley argued with me when she returned with a fresh pot, that the three bag pot of tea was in fact OK.

The meal was as bland and lifeless as the tea.

Next day off we go to Banbury and decide to stop for a cup of tea. Now I did not think it could get any worse than the day before , was I wrong. Again the mantra of one cappuccino and one tea.
The glorious cappuccino arrives, large cup and all light and fluffy inviting and enticing for the coffee drinker to indulge.

Tea arrives..... It was in a cup this time no tea pot. A large cup with tea poured in (no tea bag). It was filled to a quarter of the cup, no milk , no spoon. And it was cold. I looked at this and felt so sad , why oh why does cappuccino get all the love and attention and here sits in front of me the most unloved half hearted, no half would be more than was in the cup, effort.
Two things happened really quickly , much to Pete's
dismay. The tea was returned and I asked for my money back.


When we got home I put on the kettle and lovingly set about preparing the best cup tea.





Good tea is not just a hot to drink. It's a beverage that's steeped in romance, ritual and history filled with everything from quiet ceremonial tradition to modern day busy life. 

I hope you can find your quite moment and take time to  enjoy the aroma and taste of a good cup of tea, whatever is your perfect setting.


Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment

aMOZON